We HVAC contractors get a lot of questions about air conditioners making strange noises. There’s a lot going on in an air conditioner––warm air being moved out of your house, air being cooled, condensed and then circulated into your house. Some noise is inevitable––the normal humming of motors, whirring of fans and so forth––but loud, intrusive or “weird” sounds are often a sign you’re in need of HVAC contractors in Colorado Springs, CO:
- Clattering or buzzing: Loud clattering or banging is often caused by a loose fan blade in the compressor, whereas buzzing noises are often caused by loose screws in your fans and other parts of the unit, which cause those parts to vibrate and pass the vibration on to the rest of the unit, resulting in buzzing and rattling.
- Whistling or popping in ductwork: This is usually just a sign of old ductwork. After a while, the seals in your ductwork get worn down, allowing air to leak out. An HVAC contractor will be able to tell you whether this sound means you’re in need of new ductwork, or if you just need to patch the worn-down seals.
- Hissing: Hissing from your AC unit could indicate a refrigerant leak. The leak must be fixed, and the refrigerant refilled or recharged. Often a refrigerant leak is one of the first signs your whole unit is on its way out. If it’s a younger unit, it’s worth patching and refilling your unit, but for an older unit, this course of action might end up being a money pit, making replacing it with a new unit necessary.
- Grinding: A grinding noise is a strong indicator that something’s wrong with your fan motor, most commonly worn out bearings, although it also might mean the whole fan motor is on its last legs. This is especially likely if the unit is older. Call a HVAC contractor immediately if you hear grinding, before the underlying problem worsens or your fan motor goes completely.
There are steps everyone can take to make sure their ACs work properly for as long as possible.
- Change your air filter at least once a month: If you’ve got pets, or if you smoke, change your air filter more than that. It’s such a simple thing, but it makes an incredible difference. Because of the way the AC works (phase changing air to liquid and back to air), if you have a dirty filter, you have dirty liquid inside your AC, which gets dirtier over time. Not only is this a health hazard, but it isn’t great for your AC unit, either.
- Have an HVAC contractor look at your AC unit once a year: Just add this to your summer to-do list. A quick inspection and tune-up can add years to your HVAC unit and potentially save you thousands of dollars over time.
If you’re having problems with your AC right now, hearing any of the loud or weird noises mentioned above or you’re just looking for HVAC contractors in Colorado Springs, CO, don’t wait—call our team at BullsEye Plumbing, Heating & Air now. We know how to help!
CONTACT BULLSEYE PLUMBING HEATING & AIR
Look no further than BullsEye Plumbing Heating & Air for your Air Conditioning needs in Colorado Springs and Denver. If you need a repair on an existing Air Conditioning unit in Colorado Springs or Denver, we’ve got you covered! If you need a new Air Conditioning unit all together we’ve got you covered for that as well! Click below to schedule your appointment and fix all your Air Conditioning needs.
Whether you need heating services, cooling services, plumbing services, an HVAC system evaluation, repair, or replacement, or utility excavation, you can call on us to do the job and get it right the first time.