Carbon monoxide can be a serious hazard to your home and to the people who inhabit it. This toxic gas can be difficult to identify, so it’s important to know its warning signs and how to work with HVAC contractors in Colorado Springs to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
Dangers of carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can make you sick or – in the worst-case scenario – lead to death. Carbon monoxide in homes typically stems from burned fuel in cars, trucks, stoves, grills, fireplaces and furnaces. The gas that is released from these household items can build up in the air over time, causing damage to those who breathe in the air.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea and upset stomach, among others. These symptoms are similar to flu symptoms, so some people may not know they have carbon monoxide poisoning until it is too late. Because of this, 400 Americans die, 20,000 visit the emergency room and 4,000 are hospitalized from carbon monoxide poisoning each year.
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning
Fortunately, there are several ways that you can reduce your family’s risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. To protect your home, consider the following tips:
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm: Having a professional HVAC technician install carbon monoxide alarms in your home is one of the most critical ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Your technician will know that carbon monoxide alarms should be installed outside each bedroom in your home. Be sure to replace the alarms’ batteries every spring and fall when you reset your clocks.
- Inspect appliances: Your water heater, HVAC system and any other gas appliances should be inspected on a yearly basis to prevent carbon monoxide-related problems. A trusted HVAC technician will be able to check all of your appliances and airway systems to ensure they are functioning properly. To be certain that you never miss an inspection, make next year’s appointment as soon as this year’s check is complete.
- Be careful where you place your generator: Generators should never be placed inside a confined room, your basement or your garage. Keep your generator outside and at least 20 feet away from all windows, doors or HVAC vents. If you have questions about how close is too close, ask your HVAC technician for assistance.
- Make sure stoves and chimneys can ventilate: Debris can easily get stuck in in your ventilation system and cause a barrier that does not allow carbon monoxide fumes to exit your home. It is important to make sure there is a clear pathway in all of your ventilation systems that allows your appliances to vent while in use.
HVAC contractors in Colorado Springs can help keep your home and children safe from carbon monoxide poisoning by inspecting your appliances, installing carbon monoxide alarms and checking your ventilation systems. For more information on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, consult a trusted HVAC contractor by contacting BullsEye Plumbing Heating & Air today.
CONTACT BULLSEYE PLUMBING HEATING & AIR
Look no further than BullsEye Plumbing Heating & Air for your Air Conditioning needs in Colorado Springs and Denver. If you need a repair on an existing Air Conditioning unit in Colorado Springs or Denver, we’ve got you covered! If you need a new Air Conditioning unit all together we’ve got you covered for that as well! Click below to schedule your appointment and fix all your Air Conditioning needs.
Whether you need heating services, cooling services, plumbing services, an HVAC system evaluation, repair, or replacement, or utility excavation, you can call on us to do the job and get it right the first time.