Understanding the Relationship Between Carbon Monoxide and Furnace Repair Service in Colorado Springs, CO

November 16, 2016 2:23 am Published by Leave your thoughts

Since carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas, it has been called the “silent killer.” There are a few symptoms, such as headaches and nausea, that could tip homeowners off to a carbon monoxide problem. However, these signs could be attributed to a number of illnesses, so “carbon monoxide leak” probably isn’t the first diagnosis that comes to mind.

The only way to truly know that you and your family are in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning is to install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. A carbon monoxide detector won’t only prevent you from becoming ill, or even dying—it can also act as an alarm for necessary furnace repair service in Colorado Springs, CO.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the process that creates heat in the furnace in your home, and unfortunately, it’s a deadly byproduct. In small amounts, carbon monoxide will only make you feel ill. In large quantities, however, the gas can cause cardiac arrest or make a victim slip into a coma.

How can I detect it?

Since it’s colorless and odorless, there’s no way to actually know whether you have a carbon monoxide leak without purchasing a detector. A carbon monoxide detector is a lot like a smoke detector. While a smoke detector will set off an alarm if there’s an abnormal amount of smoke, a carbon monoxide detector will go off if there’s too much of the toxic gas in your home. Fancy detectors will display the exact amount of carbon monoxide in the room, while basic models will just start beeping if there’s danger. Just like smoke detectors, you should place at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home so you’ll always be aware if you or your family are in danger.

What do I do in an emergency?

If one (or more) of your carbon monoxide detectors begins to sound its alarm, you should immediately open all of the windows in your house to get rid of the gas as quickly as possible. You should also shut down your furnace, which could be the cause of the problem. If anyone in your family is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, take them to the hospital to be treated.

What does it have to do with my furnace?

As mentioned above, carbon monoxide is created through the process that heats your home. If your home needs furnace repair service in Colorado Springs, CO, there’s a good chance that it’s spewing carbon monoxide through the vents and into your living space. A higher level of carbon monoxide in your home means your furnace is malfunctioning, and vice versa. Furnaces that are emitting carbon monoxide could simply need to be thoroughly cleaned by a professional, or could have a major problem and need repair.

 

Don’t risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Take a trip to your local hardware store to purchase carbon monoxide detectors for your home. If they go off at any time, contact BullsEye Plumbing Heating & Air today to have your furnace repaired.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *