Ask Your HVAC Contractors in Colorado Springs About Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide

April 1, 2016 10:41 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

Carbon monoxide gas is odorless, colorless and tasteless—and it can cause death. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning look like the flu. An afflicted person may suffer from headaches, confusion, dizziness, breathing issues, blurry vision, nausea, vomiting, weak muscles or loss of consciousness.

Although it’s referred to as a silent killer, you can keep you and your family out of harm’s way when you arm yourself with the right information, such as where carbon monoxide might come from. Knowledge is power—ask your HVAC contractors in Colorado Springs about these common sources of carbon monoxide that you should look out for all year long:

  • Furnaces and boilers: Furnaces and boilers are often located in remote parts of our homes. Because of this, carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in the vicinity of these units. Too often, a buildup of carbon monoxide gas is not detected until it has affected the homeowner or a family member. The effects of this gas can quickly make those exposed to it dizzy or disoriented and can result in death if a person’s brain is deprived of oxygen for too long.
  • Ovens and stoves: Like furnaces and boilers, fuel-burning ovens and stoves can produce carbon monoxide gas. This is part of the reason why camping stove manufacturers warn their customers not to use them in enclosed areas, like inside tents, cabins or RVs. The dangerous gas can quickly accumulate and overwhelm those exposed to it. If possible, use range vents or make sure your kitchen or cooking area is well ventilated and equipped with a carbon monoxide detector.
  • Fireplaces and heaters: Both wood-burning and fuel-burning fireplaces can produce dangerous carbon monoxide gas, which can accumulate in your home very quickly. As the fireplace or heater burns the fuel we put into it, carbon monoxide gas can build up in enclosed rooms. Putting a carbon monoxide monitor in the rooms where a heater or fireplace is being used can help give you a heads up in the event of a carbon monoxide buildup.
  • Cars and other machines: When temperatures plummet in the evenings, it can make leaving the house the next morning a chilly proposition. While it may be tempting to warm your car in your garage, the exhaust can build up in the space and become deadly. The burning fuel and exhaust produced by your vehicle’s engine create harmful carbon monoxide gas. If exposed to this harmful byproduct, you can become overwhelmed without much more warning than feeling tired or dizzy. To avoid this dangerous situation, warm your vehicle in the driveway where gases can dissipate, instead of in an enclosed garage.

Annual checkups by certified HVAC contractors in Colorado Springs can help you avoid carbon monoxide leaks at your home or business building. If preventative maintenance sounds like a good plan, contact the team at BullsEye Plumbing Heating & Air to have your furnace cleaned, tested and inspected for damage. Our technicians are trained to catch potential problems, including dangerous carbon monoxide leaks. Call us today to learn more.

Categorised in:

This post was written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *