Furnace Repair in Colorado Springs Can Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

October 15, 2015 10:13 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

With winter temperatures about to begin in Colorado Springs, investing now in heating maintenance and furnace repair in Colorado Springs, CO means having a cozy home during the holidays. However, assuring that your gas furnace is functioning goes beyond just keeping the heat on. It also means better indoor safety for your household by preventing carbon monoxide leaks. This overview discusses the dangers of carbon monoxide and the role good HVAC maintenance plays in keeping it under control.

The Dangers of carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide results when fuel-burning appliances are not working efficiently. When the furnace fails to complete the combustion of fuels like natural gas, it creates the colorless and odorless fumes of carbon monoxide. It will fill the air, replacing oxygen molecules, resulting in the poisoning of people and pets.

The first symptoms resemble the cold and flu, which makes this issue especially insidious in the winter time—we are almost expecting to catch cold, so the occasional sore throat and coughing is not extraordinary. People will often continue to suffer with a carbon monoxide leak because they genuinely do not believe anything is wrong.

Safeguards for your furnace

Furnaces, boilers, gas stoves and gas clothes dryers are all capable of producing carbon monoxide. If you have any of these appliances in your home, you will need to take precautions so they do not threaten your indoor air quality. These include:

  • Maintenance: If you own a fuel-burning appliance, keep up with proper maintenance. Appliances should be inspected each year by a quality contractor to confirm they are working properly. Dirty filters, improper venting or blockage in the duct systems can all contribute to the production of carbon monoxide. A technician can locate and repair these issues before a gas leak.
  • Know the signs of a potential carbon monoxide problem: Soot streaks, excess moisture and condensation on windows, rusting on fuel pipes or an orange or yellow flame in the combustion area can all indicate the production of carbon monoxide. These are also symptoms that can be detected by a technician during the yearly inspection, but if you notice them first, call a contractor immediately.
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms: Since you cannot smell or see carbon monoxide, alarms can be a lifesaver. Install them near your bedrooms so you are guaranteed to wake up if there is a leak at night. Most people who die from carbon monoxide poisoning are asleep when the leak occurs, so this is an essential safeguard.
  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: As stated, carbon monoxide poisoning starts out as cold or flu-like symptoms. However, if everyone is sick at the same time, pets are also ill and you feel better when you leave home, it is very likely that there is a leak. Vacate the home, including your animals, and call an HVAC technician immediately if you encounter these situations. Even if you feel you are overreacting, it is better to be safe than sorry in this scenario.

BullsEye Plumbing Heating & Air is available for furnace repair in Colorado Springs, CO. With our efforts, your home can be warmer and safer this winter. Give us a call to schedule a maintenance or repair appointment.

Categorised in:

This post was written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *